The most important things that young gymnasts remember about their coaches are not their successful coaching methods and the number of renowned athletes they trained. Many of the athletes won’t remember what their coaches did for them, but they will remember how their coaches made them feel. A good coaching is essential to make the most of the gymnast’s talent and abilities. In order to help gymnastics parents chose the best coaches for their children, we prepared a list of the top 6 qualities that characterize good coaches. A good gymnastics coach:
- Uses personal approach to each gymnast – The best gymnastics coaches understand individual differences in their athletes and take their time to get know them better in order to understand how to treat each gymnast to reveal his maximum potential.
- Gets gymnasts believe in themselves – By building self-esteem rather than undermining it, good gymnastics coaches inspire their gymnasts to do more than they think they can.
- Never uses humiliation as a teaching tool – A good gymnastics coach is convinced that there is nothing educational about humiliating an athlete for mistakes as it undermines an athlete’s self-esteem and creates performance problems.
- Takes a proactive role with gymnast’s parents – By making it a regular practice to communicate with the parents of gymnasts a good gymnastics coach gets them working with him to prevent problems and crises.
- Acts as a life teacher – A good gymnastics coach uses the opportunities to teach young gymnasts life lessons that go beyond the sport, including working hard to achieve results, handling with winning and loosing, supporting your teammates and etc.
- Does not associate his personality with his gymnast’s success or failure – Good gymnastics coaches understand that coaching is only one, although important, aspect of their lives, and do not feel diminished as an individual when their athletes fail or make mistakes.
The very best gymnastics coaches are passionate about what they do, which makes them to power over obstacles and through frustration inspiring their athletes to believe in themselves and grow physically and emotionally.
IK School of Gymnastics in Miami has earned a distinguished reputation in developing rhythmic gymnasts, who traditionally rank high at state, regional and national rhythmic gymnastics meets. A critical part of IK’s success is recruitment of elite coaches from throughout the world. Our coaches are elite professionals, who develop young talents of Miami in an emotionally safe environment encouraging children to have fun while participating in the sports of rhythmic gymnastics.